How to Handle Dental Anxiety
Going to the dentist can be stressful, but if your dental anxiety is interfering with your ability to visit the dentist for your normal checkups, it may be time to take action! You’re not alone- dental phobias on at least some level are extremely common. Keeping up with your oral health is vital for your overall health, and to ensure that you don’t end up with more complicated dental problems.
Whether you’re worried about the dentist being rushed, the effectiveness of a numbing agent, pain, or if you’ve had a bad experience, you can certainly overcome these fears. We have some tips on coping with your dental phobia:
- Find a great dentist: Finding a dentist that you feel comfortable with should be your first step. Not only an office that you like, but a practitioner that you feel you can express your fears to openly can help ease your concerns during the process.
- Communicate: Let your dentist know what you’re afraid of for the procedure that you are undergoing. Your dentist will be able to better communicate with you throughout the procedure so you know exactly what’s happening, and what to expect!
- Avoid caffeine: Avoiding caffeine is a simple way you can avoid being too anxious, or having too much energy to burn while you’re trying to relax in the chair.
- Plan for extra time: Plan to have a little cushion time during your appointment so you don’t have to stress about being late for work or an event. This way you can simply focus on relaxing during your appointment.
- Breathe: Focus on your breathing if a particular portion of the procedure is stressful for you- it’s an easy way to stay calm. Remember you can always ask your dentist to stop for a moment if you need it!
- Consider sedation dentistry: Sedation dentistry makes dental visits simple and easy, and you won’t have to stress about the process!
Sedation Dentistry Van Nuys CA
Sedation dentistry is a great option for patients who experience severe dental anxiety. It is a process of administering medications that allow the patient to feel much more relaxed, and there are many options available depending on the procedure, and on the level of anxiety you are experiencing.
If you have any questions about sedation dentistry in Van Nuys CA, feel free to contact our office today for more information. Our team of experts can help you through the process, and ensure that dental phobias don’t keep you from getting a great smile, and a healthy mouth!