Does your snoring keep your loved ones awake? Do you often feel tired and sluggish during the day? If so, you could have sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a sleep-breathing disorder that affects millions of people around the world.
The Dental Care Center not only helps patients keep their teeth and gums healthy, but we also help patients who struggle with sleep apnea. Many oral health conditions can even affect sleep apnea and vice versa, which is why we offer sleep apnea treatment at our Van Nuys dental office.
What Is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is characterized by a lapse of breathing, or an irregular breathing pattern, during sleep. As a result, people can experience chronic lethargy, moodiness, and more.
Many different things can cause sleep apnea, from weight and underlying medical conditions to excessive oral tissues (enlarged tongue, tonsils, or uvula) and age. The only way to know if you have sleep apnea is to visit your dentist and undergo a thorough examination and sleep apnea test.
If you think you may have sleep apnea, please call us, and our team will be happy to help you find the best possible solution.
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
There are many symptoms associated with sleep apnea, including:
- Snoring or choking during sleep
- Lapsed breathing during sleep
- Gasping for air
- Mood changes, like depression or anxiety
- Decreased libido
- Night sweats
- Excessive need to urinate, especially at night
- Sore throat
- Dry mouth
- Chronic tiredness
- Brain fog, confusion, or memory loss
- Frequent morning headaches
Effective Sleep Apnea Treatment in Van Nuys
There are many sleep apnea treatments from which to choose, such as CPAP, mandibular advancement devices, and splints.
- CPAP therapy – One of the most popular and successful treatments for sleep apnea is CPAP therapy, which stands for continuous positive airway pressure. CPAP therapy uses mild air pressure to keep the airway open during sleep.
- Mandibular advancement devices – The mandibular advancement devices are very similar to athletic mouthguards, and they are worn during sleep to keep the airway open. They reposition the lower jaw, giving more space in the mouth for airflow.
- Splints – We also have comfortable splints, which help keep the tongue in position to keep the airway open.
Some patients even combine sleep therapies, which helps improve their quality of sleep. When you visit The Dental Care Center, we will work alongside you to create the most effective and comfortable sleep apnea treatment plan.
Are You Ready for a Full Night's Sleep?
Because of his commitment to improving patients' lives, many people believe Dr. Suh is the best dentist in Van Nuys. Dr. Suh and the entire team at The Dental Care Center want you and your loved ones to benefit from a good night’s sleep uninterrupted by sleep apnea.
To schedule your sleep apnea consultation with Dr. Suh, please contact our dental office today.