Most people don’t realize that gum disease is the main reason for tooth loss in adults. Some studies show that more than half of all people over the age of 30 are suffering from this insidious disease. The problem is that many people don’t even realize they have it, so they aren’t getting treatment for it. Ultimately, this puts them at high risk of tooth loss—and they have no idea.
One way to ensure the health of your gums is to visit a top dentist in Van Nuys such as Dr. Peter Suh of the Dental Care Center. Routine examinations—the American Dental Association recommends every six months—can ensure that gum disease isn’t taking hold in your mouth without your knowledge.
What Causes Gum Disease?
Although poor oral hygiene is one cause of gum disease, there are often other reasons at the root of this problem.
- Letting plaque form on the teeth and gums and not removing it is a common cause of gum disease. Even the most diligent brusher and flosser develops plaque because there are bacteria in the mouth. When it hardens into tartar, or calculus, your toothbrush and dental floss cannot remove it. You need to have your teeth professionally cleaned so the hygienist can remove it with special dental tools.
- Smoking makes people more vulnerable to infections, and their bodies are not as quick to fight off infections.
- Some medications can put people at a higher risk of gum disease.
- Hormonal shifts can cause gum problems; pregnant women often find that their gums start to bleed when they brush and floss, which is an early sign of gum disease.
- If you have a family history of gum disease, you might be genetically predisposed to it.
How Do I Know if My Gums Are Healthy?
The only way to know for sure if your gums are healthy is to visit a top dentist in Van Nuys. When you come to the Dental Care Center, Dr. Suh will closely examine your teeth and gums. Keep tabs on your oral health and protect your teeth by calling us today to make an appointment!